Monday, January 30, 2012

Herr Troll


I can finally post this painting. This was a Christmas gift for a friend from 10th Group. He goes by xSFmed but everyone calls him The Troll.

I wanted to do a portrait of his little mascot; a troll doll who wears a GI Joe green beret. I also had to do it fast as time was limited. I decided to use acrylic paint on primed hard board. I'd forgotten just how fast acrylic dries in the desert. Working fast was good but changing styles became very important.

I decided to go van Gogh since he painted quickly and the style was suitable to the work. The picture on the wall is the avatar of a mutual friend who had passed away exactly one year prior to the start of this painting. The wall needed something and I was going to put a small version of Starry Night until it hit me. CAR's avatar was what really needed to be there.

I signed it Vincent van Troghll on the front and sent it with a note, written in German, as a commissioned work being delivered. I believe he's very happy with it.  Thank you for your long and devoted service Herr Troll.

No comments: